Bald Head Island Sailing Regatta Results Announced
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Bald Head Island, N.C.
– Bald Head Island’s annual three day sailing regatta, held April 4-6, 2008 on Bald Head Island, saw a record 32 entries this year. Despite some inclement weather on Saturday, crews from all over North Carolina, as well as from as far away as Maryland, turned out for this well-attended event.
"This year’s Sailing Regatta was an unprecedented success," said Trisha Howarth, Hospitality Sales and Marketing Director for Bald Head Island Limited. "We are proud to promote the island as a premier sailing destination, and look forward to welcoming even more boats next year.”
Prizes were awarded to the best performing boats in each of seven classes. First place winners in each class were as follows:
- PHRF A: Tangent, a Cape Fear 38 captained by Gerry Taylor of Pasadena, MD
- PHRF B: Compass Rose, a Pearson 31-II captained by Mark Brennesholtz of Emerald Isle, NC
- PHRF C: Esso Bee, a Lindenberg 26 captained by Greg Miller of Washington, NC
- PHRF D: Ultimutt, an Ultimate 20 captained by Fitz Hennessey of Southport, NC
- PHRF E: Lucky Stumbler, an H29.5 captained by Scott Kaseman of Southport, NC
- Beneteau 36.7 One Design Class: Echo, a B36.7 captained by Dean Forbis of Charlotte, NC
- J24 One Design Class: Bugga Wugga, a J24 captained by Chip Till of Wrightsville Beach, NC
The big winner of the day was Greg Miller and crew who raced Esso Bee. In addition to placing first in PHRF C Class, the team also was also awarded the coveted Bald Head Island Cup for taking first in the Fleet judged to be the most competitive.
“We had a fantastic turnout,” said Rona Garm, Director for the Bald Head Island Sailing Club. “Thanks to the sailors, sponsors, race committee and volunteers for making this a banner event.”
The event was sponsored by Bald Head Island Limited, Mount Gay Rum, Southport Boatworks, J&J Mascherino, The Island Agency, JJ’s Boat Works, The Pirate’s Lair, the Beneteau First 36.7 Class, North State Woodcraft. The event was hosted by Bald Head Island Sailing.
The event will be held again in April 2009. To view 2008 Bald Head Island Regatta photos, videos and race results and more information on the 2009 Regatta, visit www.bhir.org.
Bald Head Island is a vacation and second-home destination located two miles off the southeastern coast of North Carolina. Bald Head Island is a 20-minute ferry ride from Indigo Plantation and Marina in Southport, NC. Open to the public, the island features 800 homes, including condominiums and single-family residences, and nearly 200 year-round residents. The island also includes a 10-acre marina and a championship golf course in one of the East Coast’s most pristine cape island environments. To experience the exceptional nature of Bald Head Island, visit www.baldheadisland.com.